The Recipe Files

A collaborative blog for sharing recipes, locating great restaurants and upholding the proposition that we live to eat.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Tips On Crab Mauling

Tis the season for blue crabs in the lovely Chesapeake Bay watershed. This particular delicacy is not for those with delicate sensibilities. Good crab eating requires you to buy combative live crabs and steam the crab while alive (animal rights activists would faint!).

Furthermore, eating blue crab requires fussing with a hot, scaly, spiny creature with eyes that look back at you. It requires some specialized knowledge about crab anatomy, so that you don't eat the gills or throw away the delicious roe. Most importantly, it requires infinite patience as you tease meat out of every little cavity at the rate of 1 crab every 30 minutes.

In other words, blue crab eating is an activity that my crab loving but lazy (and rather clumsy) boyfriend has completely given up on. He does not like with the violent tearing of exo-skeletons. He has no patience with extracting the little pieces of fin meat and nibbling on the legs. Blue crabs are not for him.

He prefers crab cake.

If you've never eaten blue crab, you should do some googling to start. I offer tips, but it's hard to blog about something that requires hands on instruction.

The first and most important tip on crab mauling (that is, you mauling into the crab, not vice versa) is get a big tong (at least 10" long). Do not attempt to handle by hand.

The second tip is to use warm water (100-110F) to wash the crabs. They will be much less active if they're washed in warm water.

The third tip is to pick female crabs and learn to enjoy crab roe. Americans prefer males (the fools!) but Asians will tell you that the roe is the best part of a crab.

The fourth tip is to buy crabs only between September 20 and November 30th. Don't buy crabs in the summer, they're molting and growning and often tastes watery (sometimes you get lucky and find some good eating in June, but fall brings out the really exceptional crabs).

The fifth tip is that if you get very good at peeling crabs and find a good bargain (like 99 cents a pound at Grand Market in Gaithersburg, MD), you can double bag and freeze meat and roe you pick out for up to 2 months. They're good to add to noodles, soups, and stir fry. You don't need much, one ounce of meat and roe per person is sufficient for flavor. I find this tastes much much better than canned or "fresh" pasturized crab meat.

The sixth tip is always steam your crab and don't let the crab touch water directly.

The seventh tip is to dip the crabmeat into a balsamic vinegar and minced ginger mixture (or rice vinegar + sugar + minced ginger). The Chinese say this warm mixture combats the coldness of the crabmeat. I actually eat crabs with no flavoring at all, but you should try this traditional mixture at least once.

The eighth tip is to eat crabs on top of thick layers of newspaper. Crab eating is messy and the newspaper soaks up a lot of the juices and shells. Dispose everything in a dumpster. If your trash is frequented by raccoons or alley cats, double bag and keep the bag indoors until trash day. Otherwise, they will pick the bag apart.

That's all I can think of for now. If you have any questions about eating blue crabs, please leave a comment and I'll get back to you in the comment section.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I fall into the same category as your boyfriend Astrid. I find crab too much work to be appealing, though give me crab cakes and mango salsa all day. Mmmmmm.

I like seafood, but I don't like to work to much to eat it. I don't mind shrimp in the shell, that's easy enough to work with. But lobster and crab are too much work for me. And I know you and Peter won't get this, but I kind of find crab and lobster to be rather bland. Is this because I haven't had it properly prepared. Is there a way to cook lobster or crab that will justify the work? I haven't found one that works for me yet.

9:52 PM  
Blogger astrid said...

SQT,

You're not the only one! I find lobsters and king/snow crab rather bland too. I actually prefer a tasty pound of wild shrimp to lobster. I haven't had any lobster in Maine/Boston/Nova Scotia though, so I haven't given up hope. Peter P and I like lobster sashimi made from Australian spiny lobsters, but they taste very different from American lobsters.

Blue crabs are very different from west coast crabs. I'm not sure if you've tried them and tried them in season. They really are only good for 2 months a year - the meat on spring/summer crabs are very insipid or even off. And they have to be alive when they enter the pot(put them into a cold pot and then turn up the heat). A 1-hr dead crab is not even worth cooking and eating.

You might try Dungeness crabs (if you buy at Costco, go early on Saturday and pick out a solidly frozen one. It's already cooked so just steam for 10 minutes and it should be ready to eat). I found the meat more flavorful than snow/king crab and it's big enough to be relatively easy to eat. Pick a male one (with the narrow navel flap) because I never salvaged good roe from a pre-frozen Dungeness crab. Look for one that is big and heavy for its size.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Peter P said...

A hammer is all I need for hard-shell crabs.

Actually, I do not like dungeness crab too much. I preder blue crab and another kind of meaty crab that I cannot find here.

There is not much work eating Aussie lobsters. They have huge chunks of meat that are easy to take out.

12:32 AM  
Blogger Peter P said...

Americans prefer males (the fools!) but Asians will tell you that the roe is the best part of a crab.

There is the Maryland She-crab soup though.

12:35 AM  
Blogger Peter P said...

Mayo is actually an excellent condiment.

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home