The Recipe Files

A collaborative blog for sharing recipes, locating great restaurants and upholding the proposition that we live to eat.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Is Eating Meat Morally Permissible?

In one word: yes.

There are people out there who claim that animals have the same rights as human beings. They then conclude that killing animals for food is unethical. They seek the eventual "liberation" of all animals.

Is this line of thinking valid in any way? Do animals have rights?

The answer should be very obvious.

I am not going to repeat any of my arguments. They have been presented by others time and time again. This article from The Ayn Rand Institute has a good analysis. It says, "Rights are ethical principles applicable only to beings capable of reason and choice."

So it seems that no rights are violated by killing animals for food, or for any other legal purpose. Can we say that eating meat is ethical? I would tend to think so.

9 Comments:

Blogger Peter P said...

A good veal recipe would be helpful. I tried cooking veal last week and it was a total disaster.

12:56 AM  
Blogger astrid said...

I haven't cooked any veal since college. Were you cooking veal scallipini?

I have a strong preference for humanely raised meats, dairy products and eggs. However, I'm not willing to give up meat until they can grow the well marbled animal muscle in laboratory vats.

Bring on some Frankenmeat!

1:07 PM  
Blogger astrid said...

I went apple and raspberry picking today. Does anyone have a good apple or raspberry (especially raspberry - I picked 3 lbs today) recipe?

1:08 PM  
Blogger SQT said...

I have these pointy teeth that are really good for ripping and tearing meat. Until we're not born with them, and the forward facing eyes of a carnivore, then I think we should eat all the meat we want.

;)

1:43 PM  
Blogger astrid said...

PS - I will soon have posts with tips on cooking blue crabs, spagetti squash, ripening green tomatoes, cleaning gingko nuts and possibly even a possible sour cream apple pie recipe.

It's been a productive food and gardening weekend so far.

7:38 PM  
Blogger astrid said...

I haven't forgotten about the spagetti squash, gingko nuts and tomatoes either. I just need to steal my mom's spagetti squash recipe (along with her reminiscence about her old days working on the state collective farm), process about 20 lbs of gingko fruit and wait for the green tomatoes to start turn red for a photo.

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be super excited if more and more people become vegetarian for the love of animals, so that I can get my choice rib eye for $5/lbs. Now it costs me $12/lbs. Of courese, this assumes that they don't infringe on my right to consume meat.

8:25 PM  
Blogger astrid said...

If demand decline, so might supply. That's why I don't really support Peter P's position supporting recession so he can get good restaurant seats.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed. But it'll take a while for the farmers to adjust.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home